Finding a professional Brisbane wedding photographer
When it comes to finding a professional Brisbane wedding photographer, how do you know who to choose? There are literally hundreds of photographers out there; some amazing and some ‘not-so-amazing’. Weddings are hard enough to organise without the stress of wondering who you’re booking. So here are my tips for finding, not just an amazing photographer, but a ‘professional’ photographer who will be a perfect fit for your day.
Look for the professional logo when booking your wedding photographer
1. Look for the AIPP logo. If your photographer is a member of the Australian Institute of Professional Photography, it means your photographer or videographer has been peer reviewed and their work deemed of professional standard. Not only that, but it means they run a ‘legitimate’ business with all the necessary insurances and practices in place. While there are many amazing photographers who may not be accredited, the AIPP is a great place to start your search for your Brisbane wedding photographer.
Ask questions and view their wedding photography
2. Ask questions! Make sure your Brisbane wedding photographer can back themselves with their gear. Wedding photographers must have back-up equipment and multiple lenses to prepare for any unexpected malfunctions. There are no ‘do-overs’ so we need to make sure we have the gear to capture everything on your wedding day.
3. Look at their portfolio. Make sure the photographer can show you a vast range of work, not just one or two weddings. It takes a long time and a lot of experience to become an expert at weddings. We need to be experts at time-management, people-wrangling, light chasers and know how to work in any weather Mother Nature throws at us and still capture amazing images our clients will love.
Like your wedding photographer
4. Get to know your photographer. Not everyone is the right fit, and that’s okay! We’re all different which is why it’s important you meet your photographer, have a chat and find out if you’ll be comfortable with them on the day. Your photographer should feel like a friend; one you can laugh with and have a good time with on your wedding day. After all, a good friendly, fun-loving photographer will help create all those fun moments for you and help your day run as smoothly as possible.
LOVE their work
5. LOVE their work. And I mean LOVE it. Don’t settle for ‘yeah, it’s okay’. You don’t get another opportunity for your wedding day photos. I’ve heard so many stories from couples who wished they booked a professional. A cheap photographer isn’t cheap if you have nothing to show except regrets. Photography IS an investment and an investment you will cherish your entire lifetime. Your wedding photographer has most likely invested tens of thousands of dollars in equipment, continual professional development and all the associated costs that go with running a business. Invest your money wisely and choose a professional whose work you love.
So now you know what you should expect from your Brisbane wedding photographer! And if you’re still looking for a photographer who knows their stuff, drop me a line here. I offer a wealth of experience and photography packages to suit all weddings! From a small 3 hour elopement or intimate wedding, through to all day coverage. All packages include ALL photographs taken on the day and are edited in-line with my editing style. Each wedding photography package includes credit towards a stunning fine-art album and your images on a USB. Custom packages are also available so please get in touch for a custom quote or feel free to call for a chat on 0418 882 778.
Alison Cooke Photography is a Brisbane wedding, portrait and newborn photographer. Alison is an award-winning member of the AIPP with over 20 years experience in the wedding industry.